Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Runnin' on Empty

My life for the past week has been pretty much devoted to nursing my sick two year old, who happens to be the world's worst medicine-taker. He has an ear infection and sore throat, so the doctor prescribed a course of amoxicillin. This unfortunately requires giving him two teaspoons (that's a lot more than you'd think) twice a day for 10 days. He wouldn't even take it once.

This kid is amazingly stubborn where medicine is concerned. I put it in yogurt and strawberry milk-- the second he smelled it, he wouldn't even try. Not only that, but now he's suscpicious of every thing I try to feed him and won't take it unless he's sure it med-free. I tried holding him down and forcing it down him (I know, I know--- my bad parenting skills are showing). He spewed it all over me and then barfed for good measure.

Last night, he woke up with a fever of about 104 degrees with a raging ear ache / sore throat at 3:00 in the morning. I was scared-- the fever was so high, and of course he wouldn't even take Tylenol to get it down. We ended up doing the tylenol suppository thing (you can't tell me that course of action is better than any pill in the world). I was up the rest of the night.

My point is, I'm 31 and I can't function well on 3 hours of sleep anymore. Don't know when it happened, but I'm definitely getting old.

No comments: