Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kim Can Run

I'm back.

Sort of.

I haven't made up my mind for sure yet, but quite honestly, I miss writing.

I haven't written anything since, well, probably my last post. No new Ensign articles or even Chicken Soup stuff. Not even a single cheesy Christmas poem this year.

It kind of feels like something is missing.

So here I am. Can't guarantee anything, but at least for today...

So my post today is about running. And how I've always HATED it. I remember the first time I had to run a mile in 7th grade. I'd never run that far before. I ran one lap hard, then had to walk. I felt like my lungs would explode. My heart pounded so hard, I'm sure that other people could hear it. I could taste that coppery (read blood) taste in my mouth. From that day on, running was my nemesis.

I have avoided running since that experience. When absolutely forced, I would run a little (until no one was looking) then walk. I will admit (and repent) that I've even been known to skip a lap. I know. Shocking.

Point being, I have never run a whole mile straight in my life.

Until this week.

In August, I decided to branch out from my nearly exclusive cycling routine and join the gym. I've been cross training. I do the elliptical machine. I lift weights. I've done spin and pump classes. And, I even started using a treadmill.

Yep, I run.

And, for the first time in my life, on Monday I ran a mile. My heart rate stayed around 155. I wasn't sucking wind. I COULD HAVE RUN longer, but I didn't have time.

It wasn't super fast. I'm sure it wasn't pretty. (Think more up and down than gazelle-like grace.) But, I did it. And it felt dang good.

I'd like to say that all of this work has made me a svelt size 6, but truth be told, it hasn't made too much of a difference weight/size wise. However, for the first time in a while, I feel STRONG.

And that's worth it.

5 comments:

Jodi Gallagher said...

You are awesome! I have hated running all my life, even in track I ran short distance only. I wish running was my thing. I'm glad you're back. It's fun to read your posts!

The Nash's said...

It makes my heart happy to hear you enjoy a run :) I remember the same pain you described when I first started running, and I will say it does completely go away at some point. Hey are you still doing pump class at the gym?...I really need to start going again, maybe if I know that you are going it will help my motivation.maybe :)

J & L Bennett Family said...

You inspire me Kim. Keep us posted on your progress. It's great to hear about you. I hope you will write more often.

Jamie said...

Your first 1 miler sounded all too familiar! We ARE meant to be friends. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

If we could only swim, we would be scooping up those triathlon medals.