Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Errands of Angels

I've been in the Relief Society Presidency for over 3 years now. When I got called in, I had never served in the Relief Society before-- many things were new to me. I was not a big attender of Homemaking / Enrichment / RS Meetings or whatever you want to call them. I was a marginal visiting teacher-- mostly going because I had a great partner. I went to Relief Society, but I don't know that I considered myself part of the Relief Society, if that makes any sense.


Needless to say, the last three years have been an eye-opening experience. I have had opportunities to serve that I never could have anticipated. I have taken countless meals, loaves of bread, made hundreds of visits for birthdays, Christmas, sickness-- you name it. I have spent entire days preparing for, serving, and cleaning up funeral dinners. My life has been blessed by these opportunities, and I have tried to involve my family in this service as well by taking them with me when possible. I have hoped that my daughter especially has learned a love for Relief Society Service.


However, over the last couple of weeks, we've had an experience in our family that has taught Emalee-- and me-- about the receiving end of Relief Society.


A little background. Emalee has been going through the 11 year old angst of popping out every once in a while with "everyone hates me." Nothing out of the ordinary for her age, but still disturbing to a parent, as nothing I say seems to help. Then, two weeks ago, she broke her foot. Now, instead of just everyone hating her, she's sure the whole universe hated her. The broken foot kept her from going to her brother's birthday party. It kept her from a babysitting job that she wanted. Most recently, she found out that it's keeping her from the 5th grade over-night Space Center trip.


However, in her darkest moments over the past 10 days, Heavenly Father has sent messages to her that He still loves her. These messages have come in the form of Relief Society sisters who have shown up just at the right moments-- angels who have brought her notes, crossword puzzles, cookies, and other little gifts to let her know that she is loved. In fact, the other day, I actually heard her say the opposite of her old phrase, "Mom, I have felt so loved through this whole broken foot thing."

Just last night, she was actually crying on the couch feeling sorry for herself, when a beautiful sister who had been Em's primary teacher, came through the storm just to bring her a note and a candybar. I cannot thank her enough for listening to the Spirit and providing a service for my daughter that I was unable to provide.

I am so humbled to be on the other end of the Relief Society spectrum-- it makes me realize how important it is to follow those promptings when they come and not to put them off. I thank all of those sisters from the bottom of my heart for what they have done for Emalee-- I can truly see how this trial of hers is working for her own good.

Amazing how gospel principles work out just like they are supposed to...

No comments: