Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Yes, It's Me.

I've had many people call, come up and talk to me, email me and facebook me asking if the article in the Ensign this month is mine.

Yes.

It is entitled "His Grace Is Sufficient". You can read it here.

I wrote it almost two years ago. I had an experience one morning and I felt like it was something that other people might benefit from. The problem was that it was a very personal experience and I didn't really want to share it with the whole (LDS) world.

However, there are times as a writer when I feel like the words coming out of me are being Divinely directed-- there is no writer's block, no lack of inspiration. It is at those times that I know that the Lord is asking me to share something, and this was one of those times.

I sent it to the Ensign-- to the same editor that I worked with before for my other article. They immediately accepted it for publication-- which never happens. And then I waited for a year and a half for it to be printed.

I have worried about it coming out because it exposes some very personal challenges-- things I don't really like to talk about. Quite honestly, it's been about as embarrassing as I expected. I even had one well-intentioned (?) sister ask me, "What made you do that?" So, here I am, answering her question.

I did it because the Spirit told me to.

It was hard and uncomfortable, but sometimes using the talents we are given means that we squirm a little. It's okay. It makes us strong. It makes us humble. And it makes us valuable to God. Isn't that worth a little embarrassment?

I'll keep telling myself that...

4 comments:

Bates Babe said...

Kim I just wanted you to know that I enjoyed it. I am very impressed that you had the guts to do it. Way to go!

the weisenburger life said...

Kim,

Both were great articles! I'm so proud of you! In my experience, I have found that I am always blessed when we use our talents God has given us to bless the lives of others, especially when it is uncomfortable :o)

katie said...

wow! kim that was awesome :P
way to go!

Lewis Fam said...

I didn't know you were back! So happy to have you back might I say:-)