Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nativity Scenes

I guess that the best indicator that I am having a fun, busy time of life is my lack of time for posting on my blog.

Either that, or I am using all of my computer time to do a little online shopping.

We have been doing some really fun things as a family, though. We've been trying to keep things a little more Christ-centered this year and so far, we've done pretty well.

Last week, we went to the Star Mill to see Santa Clause with my sister Nicole and her family. Here is my beautiful little niece Olivia.
Em with Santa

Doug at Star Mill.


After that, we drove up to Midway for their Nativity Display. This is one of my favorite things to do. It is an inter-denominational display of hundreds of nativity scenes from all over the world. Here is a picture of Mike by one that was carved out of ice.


On Thursday, we went up to a house in Riverton to see more nativities. The Garick family started a project to help people in 3rd world countries by helping them to make nativity scenes out of materials locally available to them, then they import them. They've raised over $69,000 in 3 years to help people in South America, Africa and Asia.


My mom collects nativity scenes-- she has well over 100 if you count the ones on her tree. We always bring one back for her when we travel anywhere, and in the last few years, we've started collecting a few for ourselves as well. We've started our own tradition as a family of getting a new set each year and saving it for Christmas Eve morning when we have a special breakfast, then read Luke 2, then put out our new nativity set.


Layne looked and looked for one from Ghana both times he's gone, but was unable to find one. This family had a bunch of them-- including this ebony one that we bought.
I wanted to display it for the season, so we also bought one from China to put out on Christmas Eve.


I'm amazed at how much my kids have loved seeing all of these nativity scenes. You'd think they'd get tired of it, but they really seem to enjoy it.

It is fascinating to see how the Nativity story is so universal and can translate into any culture. The African ones have hippos and cheetahs instead of sheep. The Chinese ones have dragons. They make them out of stone, wood, clay, beads, and even soda cans. The story is the same-- it crosses boundaries and loses nothing in the translation.


I love Christmas!




2 comments:

Jamie said...

I've always thought about starting the tradition of getting a Nativity from places you traveled. Then I remember that I never go anywhere. Do they still mean the same thing if you buy the "Indonesian" nativity at Desert Book?

R Fitz said...

I try to get a new one each year too...but I love the idea of saving it and making a special celebration with it. Thanks for yet another wonderful idea.