Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Sick Days


We've got the Goombah at our house. (That's what we call the flu, but I don't know why. I think that the name started with Layne's sister, but I can't be sure.)

I knew we were in for a bad one when I woke up yesterday morning and nearly tripped over Doug in the hall. He'd been too dizzy to make it all the way to my room (all 15 feet)so he curled up right there. Mike found him and felt bad for him, so he brought him a blanket, pillow, and a teddy bear and plopped himself right beside his brother. (Yes, he is a very good kid.) I asked why he didn't just come get me, and the sweet little guy just said that he didn't want to wake me.

I must be a monster in the middle of the night.

His fever was 103 and his head hurt. And I knew that any plans I had for the next couple of days were immediately cancelled.

This sucks, of course, because most of our favorite parties and activities of the Christmas season are this week. Not to mention the fact that my poor little boy looks like death warmed over and I think he feels even worse than he looks.

That being said, I have really enjoyed having 2 days where I can't leave my house. I cleaned out the spare bedroom and finally got rid of the rest of the baby clothes that I have been saving for who knows what reason. (Well, being as I can't go to the D.I., they are in bags by the garage door, waiting for my re-emergence into the world.)

I spent yesterday afternoon working on the Christmas present that I have intended to make for my mother-in-law all year, but secretly never thought that I'd get to.

I made roast beef, mashed potatoes and even home-made rolls for dinner last night-- my kids thought someone must have died.

I've even been making a scrapbook for poor Doug who is 5 and I don't know if he's ever seen a printed picture of himself, other than the ones from Kiddie Kandids that I hang on the wall.

My house is tidy, the laundry is finished, I got in two really good workouts. I'm thinking that it really would be kind of nice to actually be a stay-at-home mom, instead of the crazy-runaround-mom that I've turned into.

I may feel differently tomorrow, as I'm starting to get cooped-up naggings gnawing on the back of my brain, and I don't see this situation changing for at least another day or two. However, for right now, I am thankful for a little bit of time to spend in my house taking care of my sweet little boy.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hope the gumbah passes without touching the rest of the family. You are impressive with all you got done. I would be happy to get that much done in an entire week:)

Robyn said...

Sorry about your sick fella, what do you do for the work-outs, I need to change it up.

7packofbearss said...

Poor Dougy. Hope he feels well soon. Mike is a sweetie. What a good brother to even lay down with him.

Jamie said...

Poor Dougie, poor mommy. Call me if you need anything!

Unknown said...

Way to make the most of a crappy situation! Hope Doug gets better soon and that the rest of you stay gumbah-free! Your Christmas card is the first to arrive thsi season - very impressive. Will hopefully get mine done this weekend. :)

R Fitz said...

Hope everyone feels better soon...especially your cute little guy!