Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Middle Child Mania

My last post was number 300.

300.

Can you believe I've had that much to say?

Don't answer. I know. You probably can't believe it's only been 300.

But I digress. There are more important things to write today.

For instance, I could write about our FANTASTIC trip to Disneyland, but that might just make you jealous. I could write about the hilarious experience of traveling with 8 children. (I may still do that.) I could write about all of the nice email messages and comments I received from my last post-- I'll have you know that I've done very well with those resolutions, by the way.

Instead I'm going to write a belated birthday message about my wonderful son Michael.

Michael is the perfect middle child. He rarely makes waves. He's always content. He doesn't ask for much-- and because of that, sometimes he doesn't get the attention he deserves.

We decided to make him a rock star for his birthday-- so along with my sister's family of 7, we all flew off to Disneyland to celebrate.

Before we get to his cute pictures, let me tell you just a little bit about how incredible this kid is.

At least 3 or 4 times a week, he runs up after breakfast to make my bed because he knows how much I like having a nicely made bed. He has a fan-club of little girls who love him not just because he's killer-cute, but because he has the ability to make even little people feel important. He had a goal to read the Book of Mormon before he got baptized and he finished a week before his birthday.

This story explains Michael more than any, though.

Mike and Doug were trying to earn as much money as possible to take to Disneyland. They cleaned and worked. Mike even wiggled and wiggled an only slightly-loose tooth the night before we left and pulled it out just in time to get a buck from the tooth fairy.

He kept that dollar in his pocket at the airport. He kept thinking about buying something from the vending machines, but decided to save it for the big D-land.

That is, until the walk over.

On the corner across from the entrance to the park was a homeless lady with two dogs that every one of us ignored or didn't even notice.

Except for Mike.

Mike walked over to her, pulled out the dollar he earned literally with his own blood, and gave it to the poor soul. He petted her dogs and smiled and told her he hoped that she had a good night.

She joined the Michael fan club too.

It's getting bigger all of the time.

Happy Birthday, Buddy! You are my shining example and I can't believe that something so good could come from me. I love you!!!

Mike and crew outside of their favorite roller coaster.


My kids at Mike's birthday party.

Mike and his $15 birthday cupcake. The smile on his face was priceless.



Disneyland is a great place to have a birthday-- every where we went, the Disney employees told him Happy Birthday. One of them even got Mickey Mouse on the phone to sing Happy Birthday to him!


The Universe knew that everyone needs one perfect birthday. Mike got picked to dance in the Main Street parade and also to be a Padawan at Jedi Training. The look on his face says it all...
Man, I love that kid!

3 comments:

7packofbearss said...

Happy Birthday Mikey! We are so glad we got to come to your birthday party and not just because it was in Disneyland.

Unknown said...

What a great kid!
Glad you guys got to escape for a while!

Rachelle said...

What an incredible kid Mike is. Says good things about his mom and dad too.