Monday, January 04, 2010

2009 Top Eleven

2009 seemed to be a rough year for a lot of people. More than one person has told me that they are glad to see it go. I hope that better times are in store for all of them.

We had a really good year-- so good, that I almost feel guilty about it when I think of all of the trials that many around me have faced. However, I know that gratitude is the beginning of humility (which we all know that I could use a little more of), so here's my list of things I'm grateful for in the last year. (Top ten lists are cheesy. Top eleven lists are cool.)

11. My iPhone. I know that this seems like a really superficial thing, but it has done some really fun things for me. I've become more organized, I always have a camera, my tunes, and the scriptures with me-- not to mention Scrabble for when I'm bored, and a bunch of other games for when Doug is bored. I seriously don't know how I would do the part-time working mom / Relief Society / PTA / crazy life thing without it.

10. My bike and the two thousand or so miles that I put on it this year-- including 3 full century rides. That was the one goal I set last January that I actually accomplished.

9. Our hot tub. I know-- another superficial thing, but that's me. The reason I love that hot tub so much is that when we get in it, there is no t.v. and we can't hear the phone or the doorbell. For however long we are in there, I have my husband's undivided attention. It's cheaper than marriage therapy (in the long run, that is), and it feels pretty dang good on tired muscles too!

8. Our business. Going back to work with Layne has been eye-opening as to how much stress it is for him to support our family. It is very gratifying to work in an industry that can really help people to live better. I work with amazing women and I am grateful for each of them.

7. My calling. I switched from being the Relief Society secretary to being the first counselor this year. Honestly, I don't know which is more demanding. I do know that I work with some wonderful women and that getting to know the amazing sisters in my ward is a huge blessing in my life.

6. Fun trips. At the first of last year, I didn't have any trips at all planned for 2009. In spite of that, I found myself going to Rome, Las Vegas (twice), Bryce Canyon, and New York City. All were very fun and opened my eyes to just how big our world really is.

5. Good books. I have made a lot more time for reading this year-- a past time which I had almost forgotten that I love. Thanks in part to my new Kindle, now I never have to be without a good book to read. That is, unless I forget to charge the darn thing!

4. Family and Friends. I have the best of both and there's nothing else to say, except for thank you!

3. My children. Should they count as their own top three? People tell me often how great my kids are and I always laugh and say something trite like "not always!" or "you should see them at home!". However, they actually ARE almost always good and at home they are sometimes even better than in public. I really do have fantastic kids and I can only take about 10% of the credit for them.

2. The Book of Mormon. At the risk of sounding like a zealot, I can't say enough about how reading the Book of Mormon has helped our family this year. It started with Mike wanting to read it before he gets baptized in March. We all decided to help him and read it together. Every night, we've read 2 or 3 pages with everyone taking turns. We've even read in the car when we've been out doing things late. I can't tell you what a great spirit that has brought into our home. You hear that all of the time, but until you actually try it for yourself, you just don't realize what a difference it really makes.

1. My awesome husband. You know, the tall handsome guy who puts up with all of my crap 24/7 and very rarely calls me on it? He is my greatest asset no matter what kind of year we've had and he just keeps getting better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the "Top 11" list - great things to be on the list. You have such a gift for writing - I read your posts and laugh out loud. Miss you. We should do lunch sometime before next Christmas?!?