Monday, February 08, 2010

Too Much Time On My Hands

Can you define "time?"

Can you do it without using the word "time" as part of the definition?

I've been reading a lot lately about space and time and their relationship to us. When it comes right down to it, "time" is the interval measured by clocks. Which got me thinking-- if I have NO way to measure time (not even a sunrise/ sunset, no moon or other 28 day cycles), would time exist?

I know that measured time is at "times" a disadvantage. How much of your life have you spent looking at a clock?

A while ago, a very wise man challenged me (and every other member of the church) to take off our watches when we attend the temple. This was initially difficult for me-- I felt like I lost control somehow. The irony wasn't entirely lost on me-- how can you "lose control" of the one thing that you have absolutely no control over? The fact that I couldn't tell what time it was didn't make it pass any slower or quicker than it would have, had I been wearing a watch. What it did do is make me quit worrying about how much time I had before whatever was next on my agenda. I gave up measuring time and gained a serious increase in the quality of the time I was spending.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that living without a watch wouldn't make me live any longer or shorter (how would I know anyway?) What I am starting to realize, though, is that time is less of a measured interval than it is an unknown currency. We are all busy spending this currency like unmarried men-- never knowing how much is in our account until we come up short. Crazy thing about it is that we can't save it and you can't earn interest on it-- about all you can do is enjoy what you spend it on because who knows when you hit the red?

I think that I've gotten way too deep here.

I've got to stop reading physics books.

Anyone got a nice vampire story I could borrow?

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I enjoyed your ideas on time!

Jamie said...

You are quite the deep thinker, especially as of late. Do you know something the rest of us don't? Loved the thoughts and I loved hearing/reading the whole "take your watch off in the temple" thing. It made a huge difference to me as well!