Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Holy Terror, Holy Grail

Have you ever been so scared of something that every time you think about it, your stomach turns?

That's me and my bike race/ride this Saturday-- most appropriately named the ULCER. (Utah Lake Century Epic Ride) Appropriately named because the closer it gets, the more certain I am that I'm getting one. (an ulcer, that is.)

This ride is 111 miles long. It starts at Thanksgiving Point and goes all the way around Utah Lake and back.

I've tried this ride before and only succeeded in 70 miles of it. Both times before it was 100 degrees or more by the end and I felt like death on a stick. (or on a bike seat, if you prefer, which quite honestly often feels like not much more than a stick.)

I've done two centuries this summer already-- you'd think I'd just be happy with that, but for some reason, this particular ride is my Holy Grail.

A "metric century" is a 100 kilometer ride. A "century" is a 100 mile ride. And an "epic century" is a ride that is over 110 miles.

Why the different name, you ask? 10 more miles is nothing, right? Wrong.

There is a mental shut down that happens when I hit 100 miles. The hardest miles I've ever ridden are from 100 to 104 to the end of the Tour de Cure course. I don't know the psychology behind it-- and I'm not even sure that it's not unique to just me, but I do know that when we hit 102 miles on the Salt Lake Century and realized that we'd made a wrong turn and had to go another mile or so, I could have fallen off my bike and cried.

So, I guess what I'm really scared of on Saturday is those extra 11 miles.

You'd think after doing so many of these, it wouldn't be such a big deal. However, it's like childbirth. I was much more terrified with each child because I knew more and more what I was getting into.

Luckily, the weatherman says we should only be in the low 80s-- which will make things much more comfortable. (on a bike? I think maybe tolerable would be a better word.) And, we're riding on a team with a bunch of friends, (the team is aptly named "We Could Go All the Way"-- thanks Cal!) so that should be fun as well.

I know it will be good and I'll feel relieved to finally have this monkey off my back, but Dang! I wish it was over...

4 comments:

7packofbearss said...

You go girl! We will nick name you "The Little Engine that Could". I will think about you puffing away while I lay peacefully in my bed.

Lewis Fam said...

Can't wait:)

The Nash's said...

I am jealous--I think, I am not sure if I am sad I can't make it, or if I am secretly relieved... :)

Unknown said...

Looks like the weather is holding for you! YAY!
Sending good vibes over Utah Lake...