Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Is It Over Yet?

Getting ready to go back to school has not gone as smoothly (or as quickly) as I would have liked. Yesterday was not a good day. Everyone wanted to do something different and as a consequence, we didn't really do anything and everyone was grumpy. (Have you ever had that day where nothing you do makes anyone happy, so you might as well do whatever the heck you want? That was me.)

To top it off, Doug got bitten by a hornet at the school playground. Within an hour, his hand looked like this:


He called it "balloon hand" and thought it was funny. I was worried about it, as it actually got about twice as big as this photo at one point and I didn't sleep well thinking about it. When we got up in the morning, it was huge, so I took him to the doctor where we discovered that the bug bite had turned into cellulitis. (Which is NOT the same thing as cellulite, but both make you look fat. :-)



Doug is now on a course of steroids, Benedryl, and antibiotics with instructions that, if he's not better by Friday, I have to bring him back for I.V. antibiotics.



My bigger concern is that Doug may never play on the playground again. This could make for a rough 7 years of recess. Not to mention the fact that his hand is too swollen to hold a spoon, let alone a pencil and his kindergarten assessment is Friday. His teacher is going to think that either I've been a total slacker mom or that Doug is retarded.



No, Mrs. Hurst, Doug doesn't need resource. Just more Bendryl.



I tried to make today better, but with all of the doctor's appointments and running around to get prescriptions, my best laid plans were, well, laid aside. I totally skipped the PTA teacher's luncheon (good thing I wasn't in charge of it this year!) and my kids were seriously ticked off because they missed a good chunk of their slip-n-slide party.



I think they were lucky to get there at all. Here's Mike and Balloon Hand racing down the hill:


Here's Emalee sliding down in the swimsuit that's just about worn out it's welcome this summer:

Just to cement my "Mom of the Day" award, I took the kids to the pool for the afternoon. Have you noticed that the pool is NOT as much fun as it used to be since you became a mother?



I have.



Em and Mike had fun, but I think that Doug's Cellulitis Cocktail made him a little loopy. He was happy to sit and eat Doritos.


Yes, he is my son.

It is now 8:30 pm and my kids are in bed and I am experiencing peace for the first time in 3 months. Sure, I'm going to have to start getting up early, but I think it's worth the trade...







1 comment:

7packofbearss said...

Hornets, cats... apparently they all cause the same kind of thing. At least you were smart enough to go to the docs before blood poisoning set in.

Kick off school with a bang, eh?!