Monday, August 17, 2009

House of Order

Monday is my "scrub day". I think that it's the masochistic side of me that says, "it already sucks that the weekend is over-- let's make it even worse by scrubbing the house and doing laundry Monday morning!" Actually, it's not really a choice. Every Monday morning, my house has a hangover that must be addressed.

And so, when I woke up today, out came the Ajax.

The downstairs went pretty well and I was happy to have at least part of my house in order.

Until I went upstairs.

And I made my grand mistake.

I went into the kids' rooms to put away their new school clothes, but there was no room to put them. So I started to clean out their dressers. Which lead to cleaning their closets. Which lead to under their beds. Have you ever done that? Half way into the project you start to wonder if it wouldn't be better to just move.

Four hours later, I had 6 trashbags full of trash and 6 trashbags full of stuff to take to the D.I. (which I did quickly before anyone could whine about missing stuff.) I also have two perfectly clean kids' rooms.

I told the kids they will have to sleep somewhere else because those clean rooms are now art to me and you don't sleep in art, do you?

I did find some funny things in those rooms, I have to say. Things like:

*a molar with a filling in it (did the Toothfairy drop it on the way out?)
*water balloons-- fully inflated
*the missing pair of church socks for which I have been searching for months
*2,504 Nerf darts (okay, maybe not quite that many, but there were definitely more than there should have been!)
*petrified pizza crust (shouldn't that belong in a museum?)
*Hannah Montana everything. Which I am now going to have to confiscate because of her risque' performance last week.

I've already had to apologize to Doug for sending Hokey Pokey Elmo to the D.I.

Just wait until the little pack rat figures out what else is missing.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Doesn't it feel good though!?! Now, if Doug is losing sleep over the Elmo I can remember that for his next birthday :)