Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Beautiful Daughter


Ten years ago today, I embarked upon the never-ending journey of Motherhood. I had no idea what joy, sorrow, laughter, tears, sunshine, and storms I held in my arms!

There is something incredible about having a daughter. In many ways, looking at Emalee is like looking into some kind of magic mirror which shows me my past, my present and both of our futures all at once.

The Past

In so many ways, Emalee's childhood has been much like mine. Physically, she is one of the tallest in her grade, just like I always was-- and I see her deal with that awkwardness in much the same manner that I did-- although I think that she owns it much better than I did. I'm glad-- it has taken me years and years to realize the advantages in being tall.

She is also very smart-- which also causes her to stand out a little bit. She reads super fast-- also like her mother-- I think that she has my same impatientness (is that a word) to get to the end. I hope that she's not as anxious as I was to just be grown up.

The Present

Sometimes I find myself being harder on her than I am the boys, and I think that it is because she is so much like me-- including some of my weaknesses. When I get after her, I have to stop myself and ask if it is really her that I am upset with, or if it is myself. Sometimes it is not a pretty picture. I think Heavenly Father made things this way to show us that, if we can love our carbon copy children (faults and all), maybe we can love ourselves too-- or at least stop being so hard on ourselves!
The Future
Emalee is so talented, beautiful, responsible, and kind-- I know that she can do anything that she sets her mind to do. It is hard for me to wait to find out what wonderful things she will do. I guess that's part of the parenthood lesson as well-- learning to be patient enough to enjoy the wonderful things that they ARE doing right now...
Happy Birthday, my Beautiful Daughter. Thank you for making me the luckiest mother in the world.

4 comments:

7packofbearss said...

Happy Birthday Em! Hope you had a great day.

Liv says your picture is very pretty. Actually she said you might be as pretty as her. :) Only a 2 year old can say that and make it be cute.

Bates Babe said...

Have a Happy Birthday Em. We love you. Hope you have a great birthday.

Robyn said...

Avery now wants a caterpillar Webkin that comes with a butterfly costume.

Rachelle said...

Kim,
I so appreciate your insight about the "carbon copy" and it being God's way of helping us love ourselves. I am bawling as I type this and realize the truthfulness of most my anger and frustration at my oldest daughter during her short 91/2 years of life have most often been my own anger and frustration at my weaknesses and short comings mirrored back to me!