Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lucy the Cow

There are some really funny things about being part of a family. Everyone has them-- you know the jokes that only family members get?

I was reminded of one of ours tonight as we drove home from my parents' house. A few early birds are starting to turn on their Christmas lights-- especially the ones in Highland and Alpine who pay people to put them up. (Guess I might turn them on every chance I got too if I paid good money to have them hung!)

Anyway, like the rest of the kids in the country, when the lights start to go on, our kids try to spot them first and they keep score for the entire drive. However, what makes this game different for our family is that when they see the lights, they yell out "Lucy the Cow!"

What does that have to do with Christmas lights (or anything else), you ask?

Years ago, my kids were fascinated by the idea that I could speak Portuguese, as I served a mission there. They would often ask me how to say words or phrases. One of the things they wanted me to translate was "Christmas lights." I told them "luz de Natal", which is roughly pronounced "Looz jee natow". Which sounded to little children like "Lucy the cow".

Thus a family joke was born.

They don't remember any other thing I've tried to teach them in Portuguese, (except for how to say "Peidei" (pay-day'), which means "I farted"-- go figure) but every year, come the first bright lights of Christmas, "Lucy the Cow" comes to stay for the season.

Welcome back, Lucy!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I always love reading your posts. It makes me feel like we are together having a conversation and laughing like in the old MTC days! I love inside family jokes too!