Saturday, July 04, 2009

Cul de Sac of Fire

For the last 5 years or so, my family has all gotten together on the 4th of July for our white trash version of the Stadium of Fire. We barbeque some kind of meat, fill the cooler with ice and soda, cut up a watermelon and (new this year) make home-made ice cream. When we're really feeling W.T., we get out the sprinklers and let the kids get soaked.



This year, my sister Nicole and her family were going to New York for a family vacation early this morning, so we had to really white trash it and do our celebration a day early.


Doug has been excited for the fireworks for weeks. He saved the Macey's firework coupons that came at the end of June. He's bugged Layne every day about going to buy their fireworks. Layne took the boys on Thursday to dinner and to buy their stash. When Doug got home and said his prayers, he gave thanks for his fireworks and asked Heavenly Father for a great 3rd of July party.


I think it went well. Doug asked every 5 minutes if it was time to light fireworks-- he was so happy when it got dark!


When it came right down to it, we probably could have just bought a box of neon light sticks and some sparklers. My brother-in-law Brady brought all of his DJ stuff and we entertained the whole neighborhood with a little Lady Gaga, Pink, and other classics. (You're welcome.) The kids danced around with the light sticks and sparklers. (Okay, who am I kidding? Nicole and I danced a little ourselves. Hope there's no video of that.)


I also took some really fun light pictures-- have I mentioned that I love my Nikon?

This is my nephew twirling a light-stick necklace.

Look, but don't touch, Hyrum!



This is Emalee with a really long shutter speed.
More light stick fun

The Cul de Sac of Fire
Light Sticks and Fireworks

Mike and a Sparkler


Sparklers and a long shutter speed




1 comment:

R Fitz said...

Fun pictures! Sounds like a great 3rd! So did you end up doing anything for the 4th?