Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Why I Want Lance Armstrong to Win the Tour de France

I can't say that I am a huge Lance Armstrong fan.

I admire what he's done for cancer research.

I am in awe of his 7 Tour de France wins.

After reading his autobiographies and also a couple of books written about him, as well as a couple by some of his team mates, I think he's a megalomaniac and he'd be hard to be around.

He also makes bad choices in women. Really, the Olsen twins? Come on.

But, even though I am a Garmin-Chipotle fan and Lance rides for Astana, I still want him to win.

Why?

Because he's old.

He's 38, which is old for a professional cyclist. He's been out of professional cycling since 2005.

It doesn't matter. Right now, he's sitting in 3rd place-- only 8 seconds behind the leader.

I'm turning 35 at the end of the summer. It's one of those monumental birthdays divisible by 5, and I'm starting to realize that I am older than most of my close friends now.

Every once in a while, I am noticing that a few of my hairs are a strange color of blonde. You know, the shade that looks like gray?

Pretty soon, I might have to buy some polyester pants.

Except for Lance. He's older than me. If he can come back and kick the trash of 180 of the world's best (and youngest) athletes in the world, there might be hope for me.

Maybe I can work a little harder and stay out in front of Calli up the golf course hill.

Maybe I actually can finish the 111 miles around Utah Lake in 3 weeks.

And, maybe if I train really hard, I can take advantage of the fact that I am on the 35 side of the 35-54 year old category B in the Utah Tour de Donut next year.

I'm bringing home the trophy, baby.

Just like Lance.

5 comments:

7packofbearss said...

We will call you Lancette. You could print it below you name on your bike. That would be awesome.

Jamie said...

What is a megalomaniac? If it's what I'm assuming - then I agree. But he does give all of us hope. And let's face it Kim even though you're older than me you could kick my trash on any road even giving me a head start and adding 50lbs of extra weight on your bike. You are my Lance Armstrong! ;)

Lewis Fam said...

Amen

Lewis Fam said...

Hey JAnie I didn't know what it meant either so I just googled it, it is a pathological egotisit.

Lewis Fam said...

Sorry about the JAnie Jamie