Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How to Get Your Kids To Do What You Want


I've sufficiently discussed in this forum how I can't swim. It's true. I tell myself it's because I'm so muscled up that I just sink.

I'm determined that my kids won't be the water-weinie that I am.

For this purpose, I have enrolled them in private swimming lessons.

We've done the rec center thing-- talk about scary. Hundreds of kids in the pool being "taught" by horny 16 year old lifeguards flirting with each other while my kid is drowning.

No thanks.

But what to do? I've tried to teach them what little I know about swimming, but I couldn't get them to get their faces in the water.

Enter Sheila Morrison.

She has the coolest indoor pool I've ever seen. She's expensive and no-nonsense, and after 2 days, my kids are swimming. Better than me.

She tells them to put their faces in the water, they do it. She tells them to blow bubbles out their noses, they do it. She tells them to breathe from the side, they do it.

Like I didn't tell them all of those things before. I even tried to help Michael when we were swimming in Vegas. He wouldn't put his face under water so I gave him a little assistance. :-) He wouldn't talk to me for an hour.

Here's Doug, jumping into the deep end of the pool without even plugging his nose. When he was in the pool with me, he made me hold his hand when he went down the ladder so he didn't get his eyes wet.

What I'm thinking is that my kids do better when I pay someone to tell them to do it. Piano, soccer, swimming-- they all seem to do better when it's not me telling them.

Perhaps I should get a paid-parent. Like Alice on the Brady Bunch-- remember her?

"Alice, the kids' rooms are a mess. Please tell them to clean them." Done.

"Alice, the kids need to do their homework." Done.

"Alice, the kids are burping at the table again. Tell them to stop." Done.

So, what I want to know is, if I paid myself, would they listen to me?

1 comment:

R Fitz said...

ROFL!!! Alice did have that special talent with the Brady kids...I wonder if the theory would work?!?!? I would love to get the info on this swimming teacher...especially if she can do it in a few days time, because we only have two more weeks with the kids in a few weeks and we are determined that they need to learn to swim within a short time frame since they don't get supervised at their other home all that well...including at the pool. Would you please get me her info and a price range approx either here or in a message on facebook. I would sure appreciate it!