Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Lost My Marbles, Quite Literally

When I woke up this morning, I had every intention of putting in 12 miles or so on my bike. I jumped up and headed into the bathroom-- and tipped right into the wall. Who tilted the room?

I made it to The Throne and the world stopped spinning a little, until I turned my head quickly and woosh! Same thing. About fell right off the toilet.

Needless to say, I did not get on my bike, but instead sat down in my Laz-y-Boy and waited to feel better.

Except that I didn't.

By lunch time, I knew something wasn't right. Lucky for me, I'm married to a balance doctor.

I drove myself carefully to Layne's office and told the good doc about my symptoms. He told me to get on the exam table and he was going to lay me down quickly and I was supposed to keep my eyes open.

He laid me down with my head off the table and suddenly, I had one of the most horrible feelings I've ever experienced. I felt like I was tumbling inside, outside, and upside down, and I wanted to hurl. My inclination was to close my eyes and make it stop, but Layne told me not to do that-- it would make it worse.

He said I had BPPV.

No, it's not some kind of STD. Here's the technical definition:

Within the labyrinth of the inner ear lie collections of calcium crystals known as otoconia. In patients with BPPV, the otoconia are dislodged from their usual position within the utricle and they migrate over time into one of the semicircular canals (the posterior canal is most commonly affected due to its anatomical position). When the head is reoriented relative to gravity, the gravity-dependent movement of the heavier otoconial debris (colloquially "ear rocks") within the affected semicircular canal causes abnormal (pathological) fluid endolymph displacement and a resultant sensation of vertigo. This more common condition is known as canalithiasis.

Essentially, my marbles came loose.

It was inevitable.

Like I said, lucky for me, I'm married to the guy who fixes loose marbles. In more ways than one.

2 comments:

the weisenburger life said...

How convenient that you have Layne!! I hope that you feel better soon :o)

R Fitz said...

Eeekkkk!!! I have had similar experiences but none as bad as that!!! I sure hope you feel better soon...I hope the good doc prescribed a bit of rest and relaxation for you!