Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Day 2 of the No-Caffeine Plan

Anybody read through this month's Ensign? There's a big old article on the dangers of caffeine addiction. The short story of it is that I read it, then felt guilt.

I've quit drinking caffeine at least 1376 times. My problem is this-- without caffeine, I fall asleep at 8:00 pm. Layne hates it when I quit-- he says I'm boring. You see, I inherited a genetic trait from my dad-- when I sit down at night, I fall asleep. It doesn't matter if I'm watching a movie, a tv show or playing a game. When it hits dark, my eyelids fall.

When I drink a diet coke or diet D.P. during the day, the caffeine keeps me awake until 10:30 or 11:00. That's about when Layne is ready to turn in, so it has always worked well. Until I read the Ensign. And felt the guilt.

So now I've quit. Again.

My head hurts.

I was too tired to get up at 6:00 this morning and exercise.

I want to sleep. All the time.

Layne will be sad when I fall asleep after dinner.

But I don't feel guilt.

I can't wait for a few days to pass so that I can forget the Ensign and wake up again.

Or maybe I can find some other way to stay awake. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kim.
I went off caffeine about a month maybe two ago...it was AWFUL!
I felt like I was coming down with the flu for like seven days.
I had headaches...not bad, just those dull ones.
I felt tired.
I was cranky.
And then...I was free.

I am scared to go back, and honestly, I have not missed it.

Your energy level will even out.
And you know what? Nothing wrong with going to bed at eight. I think caffeine sometimes masks your body's needs.

Let me tell you about Aspartame one of these days. That is my next bad habit to kick.

By the Hunt family party you should be off the caffeine for good. That is probably the night you will need it most...

Unknown said...

PS Sorry that was such a long post. :)

Unknown said...

Way to go! I have tried to quit it in the past but the headaches always win. I love my coke! Good luck! Let me know if you find any tricks to making it through.

Lewis Fam said...

Trust me it will be worth it!!!!!!!!! My mother-in-law is an addict of the worst kind and it worries all us. Quit before your kids ever even think about worrying about it.