Thursday, December 04, 2008

Old Tricks

My boys have been having a hard time staying in bed for the last few weeks. We put them down and then hear the pitter-patter of ever-growing feet right above our heads for up to an hour afterward.

Last night, I pulled out the big guns. I told the little stinkers that if I heard them out of bed for anything besides going to the bathroom (and only that if absolutely necessary), I was going to have to call Santa.

Their eyes got big and Doug asked me how I know Santa's number and I told him that all parents know it. I could see Mike's head spinning with the ideas of what he could add to his list if he had the Big Man's direct line, and he asked "when do I get his number?"

I told him I would pass it on the day that he had a baby of his own. He looked at me like I was an idiot and reminded me that boys don't HAVE babies. Duh, Mom.

I corrected myself and told him that I'd give it to him the day his WIFE had a baby. That satisfied them both and they went right to bed. And stayed there.

This morning, Mike got himself up at 7:00, got dressed, practiced the piano, did his reading for school, and made his bed before I even came downstairs.

It's so awesome when the tricks my mom used on me work on my kids! I've been waiting for years to use that one. At least I didn't have to get the phone and pretend to dial a number like my mom did...

2 comments:

7packofbearss said...

Isn't it great. That works on Payton too (he is petrified of being put on the naughty list). Cameron, however, laughs and runs away....of course, it is Cameron.

Unknown said...

I think our Mom's just called each other.