Monday, March 23, 2009

Groundhog Day

Remember that movie Groundhog Day where the guy lives the same day over and over again? I think that I got stuck in that loop.

I'll admit that I have a routine. Every Monday, I do the laundry and scrub my house. I was actually nearly excited to do it today, as it didn't get done last week (stupid PTA!) and was in SERIOUS need. So, at 8:00 am, I start.

I worked my butt off all morning mopping floors, scrubbing sinks, washing counters and the like. then I moved on to the family room. I vaccuumed out the couches. I cleaned out the coffee table drawers. The place was looking good. I headed upstairs.

Meanwhile, the groundhog struck. The groundhog's name is Doug.

While I'm scrubbing bathrooms upstairs, Doug is emptying all of the color books and video games onto the family room floor. My nice clean family room turned quickly into a pig sty. When I came down and found the mess, I got upset and made him clean it up. He did a 5 year old job, so I had to step in a clean the room-- AGAIN.

I thought that if I got him entertained with something, I could finish the upstairs in peace. I got out his water paints and set him at the table. Pretty soon, I hear suspicious noises and, you got it, the Groundhog had struck again. He decided that waterpaint looked good on the chairs and table. Then, when he tried to clean it up, he dumped his whole bucket of brackish water-paint water on my nice clean floor. For the SECOND time today, I mopped the floor, washed the counters and wiped out the sink.

It is now 3:00 and I am barely finishing. Finish is not the right word. Perhaps quitting would be better. I think that I will stay in my grungy scrubbing clothes and leave the do-rag on my head, just so that Layne knows how hard I worked today.

Guess I'd better go see what the Groundhog is into now. . .

2 comments:

R Fitz said...

ROFL! Some days just seem that way, don't they?!?!?!

Unknown said...

I have FIVE ground-hogs.
And a big Daddy ground-hog.