Thursday, March 12, 2009

Social Armpit Injustice























Layne and I had an interesting conversation the other night that has been on my mind. The gist of it is this-- why is it socially acceptable for men to have hairy armpits but not women?


Lest you misunderstand my point, I am NOT advocating the picture on the right. We all know that is gross. (Sorry for posting something so revolting, but I have to make the statement.) What I want to know is why men don't have to shave their armpits too?


Hairy armpits are not useful and are not attractive. On anyone. Men shave their faces-- they could just as easily shave their pits. They obviously know HOW to use razors. It's not a big stretch.


When I suggested that to Layne, he seemed to think that a man shaving his armpits was as gross as a woman not shaving hers. Why is that? Who made that rule?


When I am Queen of the World, one of my first acts will be a Hairless Armpit Mandate. Especially for those crude construction workers who insist on wearing dirty tank tops to work. Maybe the second mandate will ban those. . .

4 comments:

Lewis Fam said...

Seriously that is way sicker then Hopey's booger nose. I can't think of anything else to say in fact I am still trying to digest those pictures.

Jamie said...

Ewww! What do you and Layne discuss that can't be posted? Okay, I don't really want to know. And now those images are embedded in my mind - thanks a lot! I do agree however!

R Fitz said...

I agree with you too...my hubby will probably kill me for sharing, but once we had a similar discussion and since I thought it was gross my sweet hubby said I didn't have to deal with it. He said that it was my opinion that mattered so he's shaved them since for me. The down side...he insists on using my razor no matter how many I get him for the purpose...so it's almost as gross!

Unknown said...

Ewwww! My eyes! My EYES!