Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sloppy Jose's

I've been trying a few new recipes lately, trying to relieve myself of the end-of-winter blahs. Admittedly, some are better than others. Here's an easy one that my family loved.

Note: They might have liked it because I named it something funny. (It's essentially Mexican Sloppy Joes, so I called it Sloppy Jose'.) Like the time I told them that curried chicken and rice casserole was called Jafar Chicken (from Aladdin). They ate it up.

Here it is:

Sloppy Jose'

1 lb. hamburger (or ground turkey for you health nuts) browned and drained
1 envelope of taco seasoning
6-8 slices of cheese (I like that monterey jack with jalepenos in it)
lettuce
tomatoes
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 c. salsa
1 loaf Italian bread

Brown the hamburger and add the taco seasoning with a little water. Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides-- leaving about a 1/2 inch bread shell. Mix the salsa and cream cheese and spread on each side of the bread. Place the bottom bread half on a cookie sheet and fill it with the taco meat. Place the slices of cheese on top and broil until the cheese is melted. Layer with the tomatoes and lettuce (unless you're Tina and you hate tomatoes), then put the top on. Cut into 2 inch slices and serve!

1 comment:

R Fitz said...

That sounds really yummy and easy enough for me!!! Thanks for sharing! Since you are in a new recipe mode...check out Aunt Karla's blog, it has her yummy chicken pot pie recipe...though it sounds trickier than this one, it is REALLY yummy!