Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Done Playing Ball

Tonight was the end of the baseball/softball season for the Garrett family. I love the game, but I have to say, I'm not sad to see it end.

The end of Mike's season was considerably better than Emalee's. Mike's team has pretty well stunk all season. They were mostly first year players, just learning the game-- playing against kids who'd already played for a year and who were playing positions. I think they lost every game but one.

However, every team started the tournament. Of course we lost our first game, which put us in the consolation bracket. And then the miracle occurred-- our little Mets figured out how to play! They won the next game. And the next. And the next. That put them in the final round of the consolation bracket. Who'd have thunk?

We were supposed to miss that game because of our vacation, but it got rained out, so Mike got to play. The lucky streak ended there, though, and we lost. However, Mike didn't seem to care because he still got a trophy.

It's a pretty big deal for a 7 year old to win a trophy. Way to go, Bud!

Tonight was Emalee's last game. They haven't lost as many games as Mike's team, but almost. That's especially painful for me, as I was their coach. I'd like to say that they improved a lot over the season, but I think that tonight was the worst they've ever played.

I have a couple of girls on the team who have no business being on a softball field. Every time a ball came at them, they either ducked, or got hit in the head. For their own protection, I mostly kept them in the outfield. That's why it really ticked me off to overhear their mothers being upset at me because I always played my own daughter at first base, short stop or pitcher.

It's true-- for the most part I did. It kind of gave me a moral dilemma of sorts. Emalee was at every practice. She worked and improved a lot. Unlike many of the girls, she could actually catch a ball-- some of the time :-) There were 3 other girls in about that same position-- and I rotated through them at the major positions. When I didn't play them that way, we got our trash kicked.

I wasn't in it to win every game. However, when you play on a team, even if it is a rec league, you have to learn that effort is rewarded. Every girl played equal time-- but I don't feel bad about not letting the girl who is terrified of the ball play first base. (Her mom was the one who was bitching loudest, of course.) This particular girl also only showed up to 3 practices the whole season.

The whole game just stunk. The girls forgot everything we've worked on-- even Emalee, who has only struck out about 5 times out of the previous 7 games, struck out all 3 times she got up. It was not a good way to end the season. I don't think that anyone left that game feeling warm and fuzzy-- just hot and bothered. (and I don't mean the good way :-)

Remind me of this day next year when I start thinking that it's a good idea to coach anything again.

This time, I'm throwing my whistle away.

1 comment:

R Fitz said...

Way to go Mike!