Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Small Things

How do you like my new look? I can't figure out how to center the title, but I'm tired of playing with it tonight.

Today it was my turn to teach Relief Society. My topic was on "Loving Life and Learning" (one of the items in the Relief Society Declaration. As I prepared during the week, I began to see that one key to loving life is to see and acknowledge the simple, wonderful moments that happen every day. Here are a few of the beautiful, funny, poignant moments I've experienced over the last few days.

  • Coming downstairs to see my two boys cuddled up on the couch under a blanket watching t.v. together.
  • Watching my dad play with the grandkids.
  • The two minutes where my house was actually all clean on Monday.
  • The look on my daughter's face when she caught a tough throw and made the play on first base.
  • Reading about King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon with my kids and realizing that they actually get it.
  • Finding that my wonderful husband had set up my whole Relief Society lesson for me while I was busy talking to a friend in the hall. (Even though he thinks that putting a tablecloth and centerpiece on the table for a lesson is silly.)
  • Riding down a hill at 35 miles per hour with U2's "Beautiful Day" on my iPod. (You had to know that at least one of my perfect moments had to be on a bike!)
  • Finally getting all of the weeds out of my garden-- even for a day.
  • Discovering that my wonderful friend Tina finally delivered a beautiful baby girl.
  • Receiving a wonderful, unexpected and undeserved gift from my friend Jamie. She was worried (rightfully so) that I might lose my mind this summer, so she made my kids a "Summer Survival" kit complete with activities and supplies. Thank you, my friend!
  • Seeing the guy in the motorized wheel chair go through the drive-thru at Burger King.
  • Watching the funny jogging lady who actually stopped and smelled the roses and went away with a cooky grin on her face.

Funny as that lady was, I guess that's what I've been doing all week. I'm amazed at how many small, wonderful or funny things happen every day. I guess it's not about being happy every moment of your life-- it's about noticing how many moments of your life you truly are happy and letting them carry you through the rest of the journey. . .

Man, I'm waxing sentimental in my old age. . .

3 comments:

Lewis Fam said...

Yes you are very sentimental. I like the new look lady, missing riding with you. Have a marv day. Thanks for the post.

The Nash's said...

Great lesson Kim, one I really needed to hear lately. :)Thanks I enjoyed it!The blog looks great too!

R Fitz said...

What wonderful things to be grateful for and notice!