Saturday, June 27, 2009

Just Like Riding A Bike

When people talk about things that are easy-- things that you never forget, they often say, "it's just like riding a bike."


I think that my friends this week beg to differ.


This is my friend Joy. She started riding with me last year-- she was one of my affectionately-termed "Padawans." I say was because today, after training for months, Joy rode 75 miles in the MS 150 ride-- ALL BY HERSELF.


Way to go, Joy! You are a Jedi now.


This is our neighbor Clayton. He rides recumbent three-wheel bikes (and he doesn't even have a beard-- go figure!) Don't ask me how, but somehow he blew a tire and crashed.

This is what "road rash" looks like, if you've ever wanted to know.

Ouch.

This one of my other Padawan-turned-Jedi friends Calli. Calli has recruited Padawans of her own. She, however, is a hard Jedi Master. For her 2 newbies first ride, she took them 15 miles up to Alpine and UP THE MATTERHORN! To their credit, they both did awesome, but DANG!



In the true way of the Jedi, Calli showed her learners what NOT to do by her own example. She pulled into a parking lot, didn't get clipped out in time and...

Our new rider friends Julie and Ashley stood there somewhat dumb-founded as Layne and I ran over to her-- not to help her get her foot un-stuck from the pedal, but to make sure we got good pictures before she could get herself up.


Yep. We're that kind of friends.


Bet this makes you want to come ride with us next week, yes?

3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, if only I could be a JEDI! Can't tell you how jealous I was to hear you were all going on that ride! soon baby, I'll be back!

The Nash's said...

Thanks for the ride! It was a blast, although I am feeling some major bum pain today!

The T Lewis Fam said...

Oh the love I felt from my JEDI that day was just overwhelming:)