Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Doug 1, Mom 0

Monday morning, I got on my bike for the first time in 10 days. It was a bit chilly, but otherwise a beautiful day.

Joy and I decided to ride down toward Lakeside in Orem. We were having a great ride, and I had just finished telling Joy how much I really like my new cycling knee warmers-- keeps your legs warm without having to wear tights.

We were riding on the trail that goes along the Lindon marina on Utah lake. Up ahead, I could see a scruffy looking guy with two dogs. Off leashes.

That always spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

The dogs were about 50 yards up ahead of him. There was no way off of the trail and he made no motion to call the dogs in. I knew it was a bad plan to get between him and the dogs, but there was no other option. I slowed down a little, so that if the dog jumped out in front of me, I wouldn't hit him at 20 mph.

That's when the stupid dog charged me and actually BIT MY LEG.

Worse than that, he ripped a hole in my awesome knee warmers!!!

I finally got my foot unclipped and gave the dog a taste of carbon sole, steel cleated cycling shoe right in the kisser.

Then I gave the scruffy guy a HUGE piece of my mind. (As if I had any to spare.)

That's just background to the funny part of my story.

I was mad all day long. While Doug played Wii, I was sitting on the couch, talking on the phone to two of my friends, telling them about the "Dumb A$$ with the dogs".

After I hung up the second time, Doug looked at me, turned off the Wii, sat down in front of me and very seriously said,

"Mom, you shouldn't call that guy a dumb a$$ you know."

Somewhat shocked, I said, "Doug, you're right. I'm sorry. I didn't know that you even knew that it was a bad word."

To which he replied,

"I'm five. I'm not stupid."

Ouch.

My reply:

"You're right again. I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were listening." (In my defense, usually he's so engrossed in his Wii games that Santa Clause could come into the room and he'd only notice enough to ask him to move so that he could see the t.v.)

Doug's answer to that,

"What do you think these things on the side of my head are, Mom? I hear everything."

When am I going to learn? And what is my life going to be like when this kid is a teen-ager?

One thing's certain-- life's never boring when Doug's around!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

That is awesome! And totally something that I would do...the dumba$$ comment of course. Sorry about your new warmers :(

Lewis Fam said...

I was thinking the other day when you ran into Tina's and within 30 sec Michael who was waiting for you in the van had all three of the little girls laughing and screaming. Then I started to realize that all 3 of your children are so amazing. Em is so sweet with helping me on Sundays, michael is so great with the kids, and Doug is absolutely every good, funny, exciting, etc. personality you could be. I know you know how awesome your chilin's are, I just wanted you to know that I think they are pretty awesome as well.