Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm Number One

Those in my fantasy football league probably think that this post is about the fact that my fantasy team has scored 149 points today-- more than anyone else AND I still have two good players left to go tomorrow night. (We won't talk about the fact that before today, I have lost ALL 5 games.)

No, this post is not about that.

In fact, when I say that I'm Number One, I don't mean it as "I'm the best."

I mean it in the Star Trek definition.

As in Captain Picard saying to Commander Ryker, "You have the bridge, Number One."

You see, I am the first counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. It is quite honestly, more responsibility than I am comfortable with. However, as our Fearless Chief has been out of town since Wednesday (and won't be back for 3 more days), I have decided that being Number One is definitely better than being Commander-In-Chief.

What I've learned about myself during the last week is that I am a better right-hand-woman than I am the leader.

I don't like it that as things have gone wrong this week, people keep calling and asking me what to do. Don't they remember that I am the bike-riding goof-off whose job in this presidency is to keep everyone from taking things too seriously?

I am all too happy to be a buck-passer. Please go away, Buck-- whatever the heck you are-- I'm not the place where you should stop. I shouldn't be in charge.

Of anything.

Ever.

I'm happy to be a worker bee. I'm happy to provide "counsel" as a good counselor should do.

Just stop asking me to make decisions.

I can barely pick a breakfast cereal in the morning.

How many days until Wednesday?

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

So happy to find your blog! It's a fun way to catch up. Your writing is witty and makes me smile because I hear your voice through your writing. I love the name of your blog btw.