Monday, October 12, 2009

New York Debrief

I meant to blog from New York.

I really did.

Just like I meant to finish a spreadsheet for work.

Instead, I played the whole time. It was great!

What I loved about New York was that there was not only high quality freak watching to be done, but also some really nice people too.


Here's me on Times Square. This was just outside of our hotel-- the Marriott Marquis.
Here was the first show that we saw-- I was not as excited to see this one, but I ended up loving it. Great acting and cool effects.

Here's inside the Lion King theater-- I think I could go to jail for taking this picture. We were on the 13th row-- it was fantastic! I loved all of the puppets in this one, but the acting wasn't as good as Mary Poppins.


Here's my dessert from the first night. We ate at The View on Times Square-- a rotating restaurant on the 48th floor of the Marriott. A little disconcerting to be in constant motion, but very cool. This is passionfruit truffle with pomegranate ice cream. Almost too pretty to eat!



Here's my #1 most-important-place-to-visit-- The American Girl Doll Store. It was awesome! The only bummer was that Em wasn't there to see it with me.




This pic is inside the bathroom stall at the AG store. This is a doll holder so that your doll doesn't fall in the john. This place has a doll-only hair salon, a restaurant with doll chairs next to yours, and a photo studio for you and your doll to get a pic done. Too cool.
Here's me at Rockefeller Center. This was one of my favorite places-- maybe because I've seen it on the Today show so much. Lots of energy here-- I'd love to see it at Christmas. (And yes, you'll notice that my hair is curly in every picture. New York is WAY too humid for me to even consider straight.)


This is the construction site at Ground Zero. If ever a place had ghosts, I think this is it. So much sadness here-- it weighs you down.



Here's from the bottom of the Empire State Building.
And here's from the top. Well, not really. It's $20 just to go to the 86th floor, but you can pay $15 more to go to the 102nd. No way. Rip off.
This is a cool thing I saw. An old lady couldn't get her shoe tied, so one of the workers offered to tie it for her. The pic is off center because I was trying to be sneaky and get it without being obvious. I'm sneaky that way.


This is Layne's parents on Statue of Liberty Island. Aren't they cute? It was so fun to spend 5 days with them and see how great they treat each other after all these years. Thanks so much for a fun trip!


Here's me with the grand ole' lady. Finally, another woman who's taller than me! :-)


Here's Layne and me on the ferry to Ellis Island-- Manhattan skyline in the background. What the heck do all of those people do in those huge buildings?

Here's a funny thing I saw in Battery Park. How many New Yorkers does it take to cut off a tree branch? Apparently 10.


Here's the Late Show studio. Who knows what's going on inside there?

I want to buy this building.
And live in it.
Here's the inside of the Wicked theater. That show itself is worth the trip to New York. If you ever have a chance to see it, do. I hate the Wizard of Oz, but I see it in a whole different light now.
One of the funny freak things. Some guy was driving around in a high heel shoe. Speaking of high heels, I actually watched some lady get her high heel stuck in the storm grate while crossing the street and her boyfriend had to rescue her. Was it rude to laugh and point?
Here's Layne at the Intrepid Museum. This is the place I would love to have taken my boys. Totally cool and interactive. Someday...

We never made it uptown-- I still can't say I've seen Central Park or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Guess I'll have to go back. Wonder if I can find the awesome cheesecake place again?

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Cool trip Kim! What a lucky lady you are. I served my mission in New Jersey, but for the last P-Day before you went home you got to go to NYC. It was amazing. I even rode on the subway, sadly I didn't get to see any Broadway Shows, bummer.

On a side note, I was on a walk one day and went on your street, who has that house at the end of the street with all the trees, bushes, etc?

Rachelle said...

It looks like a fabulous trip. . . I hope to go there myself someday