Thursday, May 07, 2009

Around the Lake

Today, for once, all things conspired nicely for me to put in some serious miles on a ride. Doug had school for 2 1/2 hours, the sun was shining, I had no PTA or Relief Society obligations. It was perfect.


Except for one dumb thing: You got it-- the wind again. It was coming from the North West, and as I was riding South and West, this did not bode well for me. On a slightly downhill road where I usually ride 22-24 mph, I was working my guts out to hit 17. I knew I was in for a long ride.

I worked my way around the west side of Utah Lake to Talon's Cove Golf Course. Here's a picture taken from the course. If you look very closely, you can see a white dot that is the Mount Timpanogos Temple. My house is about a mile down from it. It seems very far away from here! (About 12 miles or so.) Once I got through all of the north riding and headed East, things got much better. Instead of turning for home at American Fork, I kept going past the dump, to the Lindon Marina on the OTHER side of Utah Lake. Here's me. Having fun. Here's a picture from the Lindon Marina. If you look across the lake in the distance, the settlement there is where Talon's Cove is-- where I took the OTHER picture. It is awesome to see how far you've come in such a beautiful view. I got back at 11:30-- just in time to shower and pick Doug up from pre-school. It took 1 hour and 50 minutes, riding at 17.4 mph average (even with the dumb wind.) Here's my odometer at the end-- 32 miles exactly. I have to say, I was totally wiped out at the end of this ride. I hope that it was just the wind, because if not, I'm in some serious trouble for my 100 mile century ride in June.


Oh Yeah-- one more seriously cool thing. Layne bought us these new insulated waterbottles that I LOVE and highly recommend:
Sorry about the kind of boring post. I had fun taking pics today on my ride-- helped to distract me from the torture of the wind. But, like I always say, a bad day on the bike is better than a day in the house!

2 comments:

R Fitz said...

Here I am complaining about a little walk and you are riding all over the place...maybe I should take up bike riding!

Unknown said...

Why is your face NOT all red and splotchy? And where is the sweat??

You athletic types....(grumble)