Tuesday, May 12, 2009

There's No Crying in Baseball!

I need some coaching tips.


I'm trying to teach 10 little girls to play softball. They look pretty good in practice, but when the game comes, they all freeze up and look like Bambi in headlights.


The pitcher did a great job sweeping up a grounder.


Then she promptly threw it to the short stop. (What?)


The short stop missed the throw and it went into the outfield.


The outfielder threw it to the umpire.


Three runs scored.


That happened twice.

Not to mention that the catcher kept letting runs score because she couldn't see them coming. Why? She wouldn't take off her helmet. Why again? Because it might pull out her hair barrett.

Girls.


This coaching job might kill me.


On the good side, my daughter is LOVING this game. I bought her baseball pants, a pink belt and pink baseball socks, cleats and batting gloves. As soon as she was dressed like a ball player, she started acting like one.


She went 3 for 3 tonight at the plate-- including the longest hit of the game. Granted, she did forget that she was playing second base and let the runner on, and she did pout when her foot got stepped on by another player, but all in all, she's doing great.

She's having fun.
And I'm not dead yet, although next game I might need to take some nitroglycerine pills with me-- just in case. Can you say cardiac arrest?

No comments: