Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I finally learned to say no...

Without giving a lot of long, boring details, let's just say that the council PTA president has stomped on my toes again-- for the last time. Here is part of the response I just shot off in an email:

You and I obviously do not see eye to eye on the role of PTA and the importance of your council stuff. I made it very clear at the first of the year that I took on this job because no one else would do it, and that I was dedicated to the good of the school-- not to the PTA as an organization. You have tried to bully me multiple times into participating at a level that I clearly did not want to do and I have generally ignored it or pushed back. Quite honestly, as a school, we have had a fantastic year-- we've done great things and I have enjoyed my time as co-president. However, my experience with the "council" PTA has left me ready to take my name off the PTA records.

Has it occurred to you that we, like you, are VOLUNTEERS? The ONLY purpose of the "council" PTA is to support school PTAs. I don't know who told you that your job was to be a dictator and to scare people into doing what you want them to, but I for one am tired of it. I am not getting paid to do this-- and even if I were, I still wouldn't put up with this kind of treatment.


I'm done.

Kim

How's that for learning to say no?

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Whoa!!! I'm so proud of you! Please let us know if she responds :)

the weisenburger life said...

Good job Kim! I think it's a Bennett trait that we overlook and "take it", but when you get us mad, watch out! My kids know that when they have pushed me too far to just put their tails between their legs and run... fast!

Tina said...

Where do I sign up to be president for next year! jk..... You did a fantastic job this year and I only wish I could have done more to support you! How do we turn it into a PTO??? You rock. Glad you sent it off.

7packofbearss said...

Good job. I am so impressed. What did they do now to invoke the wrath of kim?

Unknown said...

I am sort-of scared of that. Do you need some carbs?

Lewis Fam said...

One word Ballsy.

R Fitz said...

Way to go Kim!!!! I think Karla has the gene pool pegged on this trait! I am proud of you!