Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Ten Reasons I Keep Getting Roped Into Things

Today was my last PTA board meeting as the co-president. Yeay me! However, I found myself agreeing to be on the board again next year. What???

I should have lied like an un-named PTA president before me and said that the bylaws (which nobody ever reads) prohibit me from serving on the board again. Ever.

I've been considering this blunder all day, and I came up with the following reasons why I just keep getting roped into things.

10. I am genetically programmed to please people. CERTAIN people :-) in my family will give you the shirt off their back while they're wearing it, if you ask. Or if you mention that you like the shirt. Or if you even look at the shirt. Maybe we just like to be shirtless, yes?
9. I am arrogant and think that the world CAN'T run itself without me.
8. I am a glutton for punishment. Yes, Sir, may I have another?
7. I'm not good at sitting still. If there's a minute of my day without something to do, I have to go looking for something to fill it.
6. I like to have stuff on my calendar. I'm scared of empty space. I'm also a little claustrophobic. It's complicated.
5. Related to number 6, I like to check stuff off of lists. Sometimes I write down something on my list AFTER I've already done it, just to check it off.
4. I'm pretty sure if someone asks me to do something, it must mean that I'm important. If I don't do it, I might turn invisible.
3. Some of the stuff I do is actually WORTH doing. (Not all of it, though, I'm afraid.)
2. Doing a lot of stuff keeps me busy and less likely to make cookies. And eat them all.
1. I can speak Portuguese, some Latin, a little Spanish, and more Italian than you'd expect, but I've never learned how to say "No." Except to my kids. And sometimes my husband.

One of these days, though, I'm going to learn that word and take a hiatus from the world for a year. That is, if I can overcome the other 9 reasons.

I think that I have issues...

3 comments:

R Fitz said...

:D Kim I enjoy your blog!

Unknown said...

I used to be that chick too.

Then I said "No" my first time, and it felt so good, that I say it all the time now.

There are ways of easing into it...like instead of an out-right "No" you can say "I think I will pass." No one has a response to that one.

Tina said...

Come to my house, you can have cookies here! I have nothing better to do. No, I will not sign up to help on the committee next year. :) I was of course thinking of the kids and that there better be a good sized batch of cookies in the freezer before baby.