Friday, May 01, 2009

What Is That Sound???

It seems that I am destined to spend a lot of time around other females this week. Between PTA, Women's Conference, coaching my little softball team, and Emalee's Girl Only Party tonight, there's definitely been a one-sided gender association for me lately.

I promised Emalee a couple of months ago that, if she would stop being so moody, she could plan a big party after spring break. She kept her end of the deal (and life has been much more peaceful for the rest of us, I must say) so we planned her giant shin-dig.

She made a guest list and invitations.

She made a menu. It included pizza, chips, soda, sugar cookies and candy. All the major food groups. We went shopping.

At 6:00, we kicked the boys out and the doorbell started ringing. Soon, I had a house full of 9 year old girls and I realized I was an idiot. For many reasons. The most obvious was that I am married to an audiologist, yet I didn't think to have him make me any earplugs.

Before all of the girls were even there, a strange and horrible sound began eminating from my house. You know the one I'm talking about-- the one that only little girls can make-- that high pitched squeal that makes you close one eye, roll the other back in your head, and shudder from the chills that go up and down your spine.

And I heard that sound for 3 1/2 hours. Non stop.

We made pizza. (SQUEAL!!!) We played Wii High School Musical (SQUEAL!!) We frosted sugar cookies, (SQUEAL) painted fingernails (squeal!) and played tag (TRIPLE SQUEAL!) I didn't help the situation any by loading them up on Sprite, Skittles and M&Ms. (Did you know that sugar actually seems to increase the decibel level of said squeal?)

They were cute and sweet and even polite, albeit noisy. They all said Thank You and Please. Emalee was on cloud 9. I got to be Super Mom and that is cool.

But next time, I'm getting some earplugs.

And maybe some valium.

3 comments:

R Fitz said...

ROFL! You definitely win the "Super Mom" award for yesterday!!! It sounds like a lot of fun and I bet all the girls will remember it for a long time. I hope your head and ears quit ringing from that noise soon. One way I get through that girl squeal is to remember that when they aren't doing it they are usually crying and I like the squeal better because it means they are happy usually! I will have to remember the earplug idea though when we start doing things like all girl parties!

Bates Babe said...

The things I have to look forward to.

Tina said...

You are just making the rest of us look bad you know! Ok, so I am just jealous that you do those things. I can probably think of a thousand things I would rather do than that, including give birth- hahaha. You're awesome and Addie had a blast, now we get to live the repercutions of not enough sleep last night. man does that effect her!