Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorable Memorials

My kids asked me what Memorial Day is for.

I am ashamed to say that I took the lazy mom way out. I could have told them nice war stories about heroes and martyrs and all of that. I could have told them about honoring their anscestors. I could have even told them that it's a day we give flowers to dead people. (Well, maybe it's good that I didn't use that one.)

I just told them that Memorial Day is a day make memories.

We went for a 7 mile bike ride.
We went to McDonald's for breakfast. Seriously-- it would have been cheaper to go to IHOP! When did McDonald's breakfast get so flippin' expensive? It was funny-- and scary-- to see my boys INHALE their pancakes. Man, those boys can eat.
The day was mostly about food. As soon as we finished eating at McD's, we started planning dinner at the cabin. I made my guacamole.
I was a moron and forgot to take jackets for any of us. Luckily, Layne's golf clubs were in the back and he had a jacket. Here's TWO kids wearing it.

Here are my handsome men on the deck of the cabin. Don't look too closely-- they came back filthy.
Perhaps we best honor those who have gone before by making new memories with those we love most, yes? It's got to be better than putting those ugly mum-things on their graves. When I die, don't bring me any of those plants. In fact, feel free to have a party on Memorial Day. I'll try to bring the guac.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't like mums either. They smell like funerals.

My kids think that Memorial Day is work-your-little-heinies-off-cleaning-out-closets Day.

I am sticking to it.
Sincerely,
the meanest mom ever

7packofbearss said...

We did a lot of cleaning too.

I think mom's have the right to change the meaning of holidays. Like Labor day. It is for good, hard, clean the house, labor.

I am sure if I thought hard enough Memorial Day could have something to do with cleaning. You are probably closer with the memory day though.

R Fitz said...

We don't do much about Memorial Day either...for us it is a make memories day when we have the kids also. Sounds like it was a good one.