Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Flushed Away


I hate public restrooms. I have since I was a little kid. I was proud of myself for the fact that during my entire high school career, I only used the school bathroom twice. I made myself sick at girls' camp because I refused to use the porta-potty for 4 days. I think that some things should be done at home.


As I've gotten older, unfortunately I've had to spend more time in the restroom. Each of my kids has gone through the stage where they have to visit the bathroom of every store, restaurant, and theater we frequent. I've discovered that some are better than others.


For example, I appreciate the concept of toilets that flush themselves. The theory is that no one ever leaves nasties behind for all to see and I don't have to touch a germ-infested handle. The problem is that some of these toilets are too darn aggressive.


Take the toilets at Walmart (and the airport, the theater and about every other public building these days). Those things flush if you even re-adjust yourself on the seat and they are serious about flushing. Water (and whatever else) goes everywhere! I've taken to packing disinfecting wipes in my purse, just in case I'm attacked by one of these water belching behemoths.


We can build 100 story buildings, two story jet planes, supercomputers the size of buttons, and cars that practically drive themselves. Seriously, can't we come up with something better for the one thing that everyone has to do???

No comments: