Wednesday, November 12, 2008

No Chicken Soup for My Soul

Funny how you associate certain foods with certain events. Some things are cultural-- turkey and pumpkin pie of course remind us of Thanksgiving. Some things are familial-- our family always has a special punch that my dad concocts for Christmas and New Year's. And some things are personal-- and some aren't so good.

Take for instance Ramen noodles. I can't eat them because the first time I ever had to clean-up barf was unfortunately Ramen noodles. Yuck.

Corn pops cereal reminds me of the disasterous Easter when I had my appendix out. (Come to think of it, it was me barfing that time. Maybe my bad food memories have something to do with throwing up...)

Tonight I made homemade chicken egg noodle soup. That used to be one of my favorite meals, but unfortunately, it too now has a bad memory association.

A few months ago, I made this same soup. I was in a hurry and didn't cut up the chicken as small as I should have, especially as Michael has a tendency to wolf down food without chewing it well enough. You can guess what happened. He got a wad of chicken stuck in his throat.

He could breathe, barely, but he was convulsively gagging and slobbering everywhere. We took him to the insta-care and they sent us up to Primary Children's immediately. On the drive up, I was having every horrible thought a mother can have-- what if it slips a little further and he stops breathing? What do I do if my son dies here in the car in my arms? It was a long ride, even though Layne drove at least 90 mph the whole way.

We arrived, and after a rotten too-long wait in the waiting room (seriously, my kid is about dying here!) we were just about ready to take the kid in for endoscopic surgery when he gagged it out. All better. That quick.

Needless to say, I diced the chicken well today. Everyone else gobbled it up-- even Mike, who you'd think had reason to be wary. I ate a little, but I just can't quite get past it yet. Who says the chicken soup makes everything better? Not me. Think I'll stick to chili.

No comments: