Sunday, November 09, 2008

That's Our Boy


Today was the children's program in our church. Our family was asked to sing a kind of obscure song called "Home." It's a cute, simple song and all, but I'm not a fan of singing in front of people.


I don't get nervous to speak or teach in front of large groups-- it actually gives me a rush. Singing is another story-- I get that same fluttery feeling in my stomach that I have the first time I ride a new roller coaster-- you know that point where you're buckled in, moving slowly away from safety and it's too late to hop off? Yeah. I could barf.


My kids said their cute little parts first, then Layne and I went up. We were all dressed in white shirts. We had practiced over and over this week. Depending on how things went, I was even prepared to harmonize. We were going to be the awesomely put-together Garrett family.


We forgot about Doug. Doug means "unpredictable" in some foreign language, I'm sure. When we started singing, he grabbed the microphone and started belting out the first verse right into it. Everyone smiled, and I discreetly reached up and moved the mic down. He turned and glared at me with a most offended look like, "I'm singing here, Mom-- you're throwing off my groove!." Then he grabbed the mic back and put it right in front of his mouth again.


The whole congregation erupted in laughter. As I have a propensity to laugh when I'm nervous already, I broke up and couldn't sing anymore. Layne was laughing too, but still trying to carry the tune. The more I tried, the more I laughed and there was Doug, just standing there looking grumpy and making everyone else laugh even more.


It went like that for 2 more verses. Needless to say, there was no harmonizing, perfect Garrett family number today. Luckily Emalee and Mike did their jobs and sang their little hearts out and redeemed us somewhat. I must have looked fanstastic standing up there with my beet red face and teary eyes, not to mention the fact that I just can't sing. I was never so glad to take my seat.


It could have been worse. The last time Doug was in front of a microphone, he was giving a talk in Primary. He was kind of shy and quiet until the very end. After he said "Amen", he grabbed the mic, did a dance and sang, "Chicka-chicka-wah-wah" to the laughter of the crowd. At least we didn't have a repeat of that number...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You said "yes"?
To serious singing?
You are not a Hunt.

April Showers said...

I'm glad you crated this post... those of us that were sitting with the kids on the stand had no idea why everyone was laughing! Now I get it!