Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Black List

Once I had a list of things that I wanted to do before I turn 35. It included things like "See the Colosseum in Rome", "Write a book", "Finish a Ph.D.", and "Learn to Ski."

I turn 35 this year, and it's occurring to me that a few of my "things" are still undone. Sure, I have 7 months or so before the big day. I guess I could plan a trip to Europe. I could start the book I keep meaning to write. I did try to snowboard this year-- does that count for skiing? I think I'm just screwed for the Ph.D.

I think I need a new list. Maybe I should lower the bar and make a list of things I've ALREADY done, and pretend that's what I ALWAYS wanted to do anyway. Things like "Give birth to 3 children-- two over 9 pounds." "See every animated Disney Movie ever made". "Drive a minivan." "Read the whole Lord of the Rings series. Even The Hobbit. Twice." "Plant a garden." (You'll notice I didn't say anything about harvesting it. Maybe that could be a 'before 50' goal.)

What is it about our culture that puts such emphasis on numbers that are divisible by 5 and 10 anyway? Why isn't say 32 a milestone, or 47 or 63? I guess when it comes down to it, no number of years is any more significant than another. Really, very few days, let alone years, are meaningful enough to be remembered on their own. The important thing is to make each one count while you're living it.

Look at me, waxing philosophical and such. I guess I really am getting old.

Maybe I will make a list with just one thing one it: no more lists.

1 comment:

7packofbearss said...

Feeling old today?? Come get your hair done. You will feel better.