Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New

I'm in January mode. A funny effect of my post-holiday depression is that I spend more time in my house. The more I do that (combined with the whole January/New Year etc. effect), the more things I see in the house that need done. What ends up getting me out of my funk is usually throwing myself into some kind of home improvement. (Which is the reason that Layne hates January.)

Like always, my "one thing I'm going to do" snowballed. Today I was going to stain my new windowsill that my wonderful father put in for me on Saturday. Then I decided I had to paint the molding. Which led to the walls. Of the whole family room. Plus a few in the hall by the bathroom. That required much moving of furniture, vacuuming, etc...

Essentially, I worked my butt off all day long and it looks awesome. (Except for the few little smudges and stuff I'm seeing now as I sit here.)

The bad effect of all my changes is this. An hour past bedtime, Doug came down in his cute little Power Rangers underwear with tears in his eyes. We asked him what was wrong and he said something we couldn't understand through the sobbing. We calmed him down a little and he said,
"I'm sad because of all the new stuff. Mommy keeps changing things and I like the old stuff better."
Oops. Guess I'm gonna have to tone it down. . .

Layne, did you pay him to do that?

1 comment:

tiff said...

Haha. I think Bryant said the same thing to me when I chopped my hair short.

Um, can you come over to my house and share that working-ness? I have lots of projects, but I can't seem to get them done unless I'm willing to give it four months...