Friday, January 02, 2009

Top 5 New Games

I come from a family of gamers. I grew up on a steady diet of Rook, Monopoly, Clue and the occasional Black Jack game.

When Layne and I started dating (think like 2 dates into it), I invited Layne over for game night. Brave.

It was rowdy. (Normal.) My brother-in-law burped and blew it in my sister's face. I was marginally embarrassed, but decided if my new guy couldn't handle it, I might as well know now, as my family was not likely to behave any better. Ever.

Layne thought it was awesome, and the rest is history.

But, I digress. My real post is about all the cool new games we got this season. My top five are:

5. Phase 10 Dice. I don't like Phase 10 so much as a card game, (mostly because I'm selfish and a little ADD and it seems like it takes too long for it to be my turn again), but the dice game is quick and fun.

4. Monopoly Real World Edition. Comes with a computer and visa cards and keeps track of the accounts for you. I just finished annihilating Layne and Emalee. The only problem is that we can't keep the Bennett family variation of putting all of the tax money in the middle and scoring it when you land on free parking. I miss that rule.

3. Life Twists and Turns. Also comes with a calculator thing. Easy enough for Michael to play, but fun for all of us. Funny thing is that each game is scored on a different criteria (sometimes kids are more valuable, sometimes money counts, sometimes houses, etc...) so you never know really who's winning until the end.

3a. Okay. I know, this makes 6, but that seems silly. Plus, I was just introduced to it last night. It's called Speed Scrabble and I KICK BUTT at it. Anyone want to play?

2. Yahtzee Free For All. I love Yahtzee and I usually win. (Layne won't play with me anymore.) This is a great variation and it comes with like 36 dice.

1. Zobmondo Would You Rather... This is the funniest game ever. I have proof. It made our friend Tyson do this:

It made Layne get on all fours and shake his booty for 30 seconds. (I have video and one day, if Layne really pisses me off, I'll post it.) Funny stuff happens every time we play this game.

So, who wants to come to my house? I'll make you some hot artichoke dip, but only if it's on a Saturday because as of Monday, I'm back on the wagon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you forget Candyland?
(Barf.)
That last game looks like a humdinger!
We have been liking Uno Attack. There is less cheating potential.

April Showers said...

I grew up in a gaming family too. I haven't heard of any of your fav five... I'll have to go shopping! Tyson looks like he's a good sport :)