Friday, January 23, 2009

Dinner Party

Why is it that every time I decide to have people over, my eyes are suddenly opened to every smudge on the wall, stain on the carpet, and scratch in the table?

I think I have a circle of dirty friends. I don't mean that how it sounds. What I mean, is that group of people who I don't clean up for anymore. You know the ones that, when they come over and you're folding laundry, you don't try to shove it in the closet, but you expect them to at least offer to help?

Dinner wasn't for them tonight. Our ward decided to have "dinner groups" where they randomly assigned 4-6 couples to a group. One couple hosts the dinner and everyone brings something. I got to be hostess this time.

These aren't people in my "dirty circle". In fact, one was my 7th grade Utah History teacher. Who would have thought I'd invite him to dinner one day? You never know where life will take you-- or who it will bring to your door.

I cooked and cleaned a good chunk of the day. I actually got out my china and goldware-- probably the 6th time in 11 years. I must say, I threw a good party, in spite of the smudges and stains. (I just turned down the lights-- what appeared to be ambiance was really camoflauge.)

I made probably my favorite dish (next to grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatos). Here's the recipe:

Cube Steak (With or Without Mushrooms)

Dip cube steak in a mixture of egg and milk, then in bread crumbs with a little salt and pepper in them.

Heat a little oil in a frying pan, then cook each steak for just a minute or so on each side.

Place breaded steaks in a crock pot.

Mix one can of cream of mushroom soup with one package of Lipton Onion soup and pour mixture over the steak. (If you like onions, you can slice about half of one in rings and spread them around the steak.)

Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or high for 3-4. If you like mushrooms, put 1 cup or so of fresh ones into the crock pot about an hour before serving.

This steak is great served with baked potatoes-- the sauce is good on the potatoes too.

No comments: