Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bad Stuff, Funny Stuff and Tender Mercies

I've had a couple of those dicotomy kind of days where everything seems juxtaposed to make things funnier and sweeter than normal.

I don't want to dwell on the bad stuff-- I'll just say that a good muscle relaxer, about $400 to cover a new garage door opener, and a magically fixed economy should take care of my major problems.

For the funny stuff:

First, the phone rang at 8:30 in the morning yesterday and I sent Mike to answer it. He picked up the phone and instead of saying "hello", he said "Our Dear, Gracious Heavenly Father," then realized what he'd said, shouted "Oh No!!!" and took off running to his room. He scampered up the ladder to his bunk bed and burrowed into his covers, the whole time saying "Oh No! Oh No!"

I was laughing so hard, that I couldn't comfort the humiliated little beggar. I figured whoever was on the phone would call back soon and I'd have to compose myself. Luckily, it was just Layne, but it took him a good couple of minutes to stop laughing enough to call back too.

Mike got over it when I hugged him and told him thanks, I really needed a laugh like that.

Second, my sweet friend Tina felt bad that her son had to miss Doug's birthday party, so she agreed to take her kids to McDonalds for lunch today. She's a much better mom than me and has never let her kids play in the germ infested death trap they call Playland. The boys took off instantly and soon, 2 year-old Tutu (not her real name) wanted to join them.

Unfortunately for Tina, she caved in. After a while, we realized that we hadn't seen Tutu come out on a slide. We sent the boys up to find her, and, sure enough, she was stuck. It was kind of a toss up who should go get her. I'm 5'10, which makes me about 5 feet taller than the Hamburgler guy who measures to see if you're too big to play in the Playland. Tina is about a foot shorter than me, but she's somewhat (ok definitely) on the pregnant side. We both had equal shot at getting stuck. In one of my less-chivalrous moments, I let Tina go after her own kid. (Sorry.)

I hope that Tina doesn't go into labor tonight. I don't think that Tutu will ever get into the Playland again. Lucky for Tina, I had my trusty Point-n-shoot handy. :-)

Now for the sweet stuff.

I've decided in the last little while, as I watch so many of my friends and family go through adversity (and even a few small things myself), that the Lord, while He has to let us go through the refiner's fire, extends "tender mercies" to get us through.

I had three or four small tender mercies this morning. I was able to catch up with a friend walking her kids to school who I have been trying to talk to all month. I got a front row parking place a the temple. And, best of all, in my temple session, I looked around and saw my sweet grandpa who I love dearly and rarely see-- in the same session with me.

I think that God leaves His calling cards all around for us, if we will look for them. In the midst of the storms, He will always send us enough humor, love, and miracles (small and large) to get us through.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

So true on the tender mercies, we just need a little reminding now and then to look. Thanks for the reminder.
Tina looks so happy - she'll love you forever for that shot!