Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Just Plain Gross.

This post is going to be disgusting, I'm sorry. Feel free to stop reading if you have a weak stomach.


The topic of the day: snot.


I'm not talking about the occasional, wake up and have to blow your nose a little snot. I'm talking about the, "I-blew-my-nose-so-much-today-that-I-weigh-3-pounds-less-than-I-did-this-morning" kind of snot.


That's what I've got. It's my own fault, really. I've had sick kids over so many Christmases, that I prayed this year that we'd all just stay healthy through the holidays. Prayer granted. Now, here come the colds.


So far, it's just me. And it's got me wondering, what is snot and how in the world is my body producing so much of it all at once? To satisfy my curiousity, I looked it up on the internet. Did you know that the human body produces about one liter of snot per day?

Also, I learned the funniest word ever: "spinnbarkeit" which refers to the stringy or stretchy qualities of snot. I don't recommend using this word often, as it mostly applies to cervical mucus, however, the best definition I found of it said, "the capacity of a viscous liquid (especially the mucus) to be drawn out into a strand or blown up into a bubble. Who hasn't laughed at their kids when they sneeze and get the ever popular booger bubble? Now we've got a word for it.

Yep. I know. Totally gross, but I bet it made you laugh too.

2 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

You're right - gross! Thanks for sharing, information that is, not your snot. ;)