Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The Chocolate Challenge


I've heard that the first step in conquering addiction is admitting that you have a problem. Okay. I'm admitting. I'm addicted to chocolate. I am just losing the battle with the leftover bags of Riesens and Doves from the SuperBowl.

I have every classic symptom of addiction. I turn to Hersheys when I am bored, sad, lonely, or ticked off. I get nervous if I don't have at least a little chocolate in the house.

It's not nearly so bad when the weather is warm and I can fix the jones with a good endorphin-producing bike ride. Maybe the sunshine counteracts the cocoa, I don't know. I do know that I definitely struggle with this more in the winter time.

I have a friend who solves the problem by quitting chocolate all together. I'm going to try it. I'm going off chocolate for 1 week-- cold turkey and completely. I will be accountable to my friends and family who read this.

The only thing that I like more than chocolate is winning. So, to raise the stakes, if I fail, I will admit it and any of you who call me on it will get $5. Wish me luck... (Or not, if you want the $5, I guess. By the way, anyone who tries to get the $5 by bringing me stuff with chocolate IN it is DQ'ed.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

warn me when you are coming over so I can hide all knives and anything like unto it. Going completely off chocolate is one of the scariest or craziest things I have heard, and there will be no sympathy from me. Sorry, I do love you, but I also love chocolate. Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be watching you!
Joy

7packofbearss said...

You better not throw away my dove's! Give them back you crazy nut! Giving up chocolate is not worth the battle. A week of hell in order to deprive myself of one of my true joys in life....I think not. Good luck, but I don't think I will join you.

Unknown said...

I don't condone this either.

What is the point?
Do something normal like give up Good and Plenty's. No one really likes those anyway.