Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Skinny Tires, Fat Tires, and Nails in Tires?

Interesting and exhausting day today.

Went to get Doug off to school and heard a heart-sickening thud when I put the car in reverse-- I got out of the car to find a pancake where a tire should have been. I was already late, so Doug and I hopped on our bikes and rode to school.

That's when I discovered it was a BEAUTIFUL morning, so I blew off every other obligation I had in the morning and hopped on my bike for a fantastic ride to Alpine and back. Hill all the way up and nasty headwind all the way back, but it was marvelous, nonetheless.

On thing I'm really liking is my new bike saddle. I bought it because it is a little bit wider than my old one and, let's face it, having babies definitely did not decrease the width of my sit bones. However, there are two awesome advantages to this new seat that I didn't expect:

1. For whatever reason, I can ride on this saddle with my cycling tights on and NOT slide off the front. You can imagine that this is a great plus.

2. This is a nice, CARBON seat. I thought that the carbon was just to make it lighter. (Who cares, really, if my saddle is 100 grams lighter than the aluminum frame one when I'm carrying 20 extra pounds around the middle?) However, I'm finding that the carbon absorbs shock from the road, making the ride on our lovely chip-sealed roads much more smooth. I can now comfortably ride on a few of the roads I'd been avoiding because they vibrated so much it was almost indecent.

Anyway, after a great ride and a lot of PTA meetings, I finally got around to changing my own tire. Yep. Girl Power. I have the dirt on my shirt to prove it. I'm not even going to change the shirt before I go to my RS meeting tonight. It's my badge of honor.

No comments: