Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Frozen Over

When I started my blog, I intended it to be more about cycling than anything else. I forgot about one thing-- winter.

I have to wonder about the fool who came up with the phrase "when hell freezes over" because obviously hell is ALREADY cold. If it's supposed to be the worst place imaginable, for me at least, the "damned" place must be covered in ice.

My own version of wintery hell this year has included 562 grueling miles-- all in exactly the same place-- our small upstairs bedroom. It used to be a nursery, so there are happy little teddybears on the walls, next to posters of Lance Armstrong and some buff chick riding a mountain bike. Add in the bikes locked into medieval looking trainers, along with heart monitors, fans, computer and t.v. screen, weights, balance ball and a yoga mat, and the whole effect is a little bit surreal.

I've spent over 40 hours in that room in the past few months. I've watched the entire first season of House, highlights of 7 Tours de France, and countless episodes of Las Vegas (the only thing on at 9:00 am). I've done intervals, flat miles, and endurance training. All in the hope that one of these days, the sun will come out and I will able to get my bike off the blasted trainer and onto the road-- and not die from exertion in the process.

I'd like to say that all of this exercise has left me slim and trim and ready to ride a century out of the gate. Not so. Unfortunately, I've found 8 of the pounds I thought I'd lost forever. Riding on the trainer is just a sorry substitute for a good ride on the road. Or even a bad one, for that matter. Where the heck is spring???

P.S. I did enjoy my first chocolate in a week today-- gotta love the Lindor Truffles!

1 comment:

tiff said...

You're amazingly dedicated. Do you have a little ambition pill that you can share with me?

By the way, thanks for entertaining Henry today.