Monday, February 02, 2009

Turning Off the News

What goes around comes around, right? Like the title of my blog, life is about cycles. Cause and effect and all of that. I am concerned with one particular cycle right now. (Unfortunately, it is not my bicycle. Still riding inside, but hoping that changes soon!)

What I am referring to is the strange economic cycle we are in right now. We seem to be caught in a bad feedback loop. People are afraid they will lose their jobs, so they save every penny they make. That means that all of the people who work at the fancy restaurants where the first people used to go are at risk of losing their jobs. Those people stop buying clothes at the GAP, which puts the poor GAP workers out of work. The GAP people cancel their Disneyland trips, and before you know it, Mickey Mouse is out of a job.

I've heard the term "recession" many times in my life, but I don't remember it ever feeling this way before. I've never seen it effect so many people around me-- people who I thought should be safe. It's getting hard to keep the fear at bay.

I'd like to see the media do an experiment. In one city, they ought to try spinning all of the news-- especially the economic news-- in a positive way. I'd be willing to bet that the economy in that area would be much stronger than the rest of the country-- people would stop freaking out and things would normalize.

All of the doom and gloom on the news can't be helping things.

I know that faith and fear can't exist in the same place. I know that I can look back at all of the trials in my life and see that good has come out of them-- I'm sure that the same will happen here too. I start to understand the man in the bible who told Christ, "Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief." I want to be fearless. I want to feel faith and peace.

Guess I'm going to have to stop watching the news.

1 comment:

tiff said...

Well said.

And not that you should, but I stopped watching the news a couple of years ago, and I haven't felt any strange effects yet....