Friday, February 20, 2009

Bringing Up the Rear

Today's topic: the bidet.

Not a common site here in the good ole' USA. Our hotel in Argentina had one, and most recently, our hotel in Italy was also likewise equipped. Kind of causes me a Crocodile Dundee moment-- I know what the thing is for, but how the heck to you use it?

If you'll notice, there is soap and a towel right by the bidet-- you can guess how those are used. I decided to look up the history and etymology of the thing and cracked up as I read it. I'll share the funny info with you.

According to Wikipedia, the word "bidet" means pony in French and the etymology is that it is so named because you ride it like a horse.

Apparently they are used for more than the obvious-- they are also useful for washing feet and for bathing babies. (I say ew, gross! to that, but to each her own, I guess.)

In Japan, they've invented a combo toilet / bidet which is "paperless"-- you go, it cleans you, then dries you off all in one.

This is a picture of an early bidet concept from the Roman colosseum. Apparently you did your business in this trough, then there was a slave who stood there with a bucket and sponge to be a "human bidet". (Seriously, if you ever think that your job stinks. . .)


My jury is still out on this thing. I've heard that my world-traveling aunt who lives in Lehi likes them so much that she had one installed in her bathroom. I'm not there yet, but, as they say, cleanliness is next to godliness. . .

4 comments:

David said...

If space is a problem then a great alternative to installing a stand alone bidet is a portable bathroom bidet sprayer from BathroomSprayers.com. It can be attached easily (without a plumber) to your existing water supply for the toilet and comes in many styles and colors. It also gives you more water pressure and control than fixed bidets. Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com You can pay for it with toilet paper savings and it's better for the environment.

7packofbearss said...

I think you should look up www.bathroomspayers.com and charge them for the advertising space.

Unknown said...

Just for the record.
I have never used a bidet.
Not even one that would seem like I could conveniently use it...if you know what I mean.

They kinda skeeve me.

Unknown said...

Thanks David!
Wow.
Kim...who knew you had a billboard here?
Did they send you a free whatzamajig? (eyeroll)