Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Out-lawed In-Law In the Kitchen

Layne's brothers and sister have all decided to take advantage of his parents' being around more lately and each of the families is taking dinner up one night a week. My kids love to spend time with their grandparents, so I am all in favor of this plan.

The problem is that I keep screwing up dinner.

I have wonderful in-laws. They have never made me feel like anything less than a loved member of the family. However, like any daughter-in-law, I feel like I should try to impress them.

That never goes well for me. I am not an impressive person. I am even less impressive in the kitchen.

When I made roast and potatoes and the works a couple of weeks ago, I forgot to put salt in the rolls (yuck) and I took the roast out too soon, then dried it out trying to nuke it.

Tonight, I thought I'd make one of my mother-in-law's favorite dishes-- French Onion Soup. I killed myself cutting onions and crying like a baby. I stunk up the house (and myself) cooking them in the crock pot all afternoon. The soup was actually good.

Then I had to have to bright idea to serve it in bread bowls. Bad plan. The bread absorbed all of the soup part of the soup and left a pile of onions in the bottom of a very soggy bowl.

Like I said, not impressive.

Luckily, they love me anyway.

Next week, we're bringing Pizza Hut.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

At least your willing to provide them a dinner...yummy or not. They can always fix a pbj aftewards :).

R Fitz said...

At least you are trying...and think of it this way..it may not have filled their tummy's quite how intended but it probably uplifted their humor level. At our home it's common knowledge that if they want variety to visit grandma, if they want fresh dessert to call Michelle and if they want it burnt and dry or too spicy to call me.